Do you have an emergency? We offer a 24 hour call out service.

Phone Number: 01483 200336

Mobile Number: 07585393530

Sewage Treatment Permits and General Binding Rules

If you need to connect yourself to a sewage system, it's important that you know what types of systems are available. You should research how to install them, as well as all the specific requirements for you to operate them legally. There are various options for you to choose from when it comes to installing your sewage system. 

You can make use of a septic tank. This refers to an underground tank where your solid sewage will sink to the bottom, and the liquid will flow out into the ground. Another option is to have a small sewage treatment plant which is often also referred to as a package treatment plant. This is a sort of mechanical system that will treat liquid sewage so that it is clean enough to be safely released into a stream or the river.

And the other option that you have is to install a cesspool or a cesspit. This refers to a sealed tank that will collect all the sewage effectively. This is a popular option, and many homeowners choose this if they have to install their own sewage system. 

There are other options available to you as well, which includes a non-standard system such as a trench arch or a reed bed. These are just some of the options that you can make use of if you are not connected to the main sewage system and need to set up your own.

The way you operate your sewage treatment system also depends on your environment as well as a few other factors. You need to be either the property owner or one of the residents living there with full written permission from the owner. You may then operate your sewage treatment system while keeping in mind there are certain rules and regulations applicable.

Also, keep in mind that you may likely need to obtain a permit before you can successfully operate your sewage treatment plant. There are different permits available, and it is best to speak to a professional installer to guide you in the right direction.

The different permits available will depend on the system and how it is used, and the amount of sewage you will handle on a daily basis.

Do You Have a Small Sewage Treatment Plant?

A small sewage treatment plant is a great way to set up a sewage facility on your property. It’s an effective method of dealing with your sewage system, and it can be easily installed by an expert. You can enquire about all the benefits of using a small sewage treatment plant as a solution for your property. 

If you own the property and that he is the specific sewage system you will automatically also be the operator. Alternatively, you may also be the operator if you own a property that shares these systems with other properties. In these cases, each owner will be an operator, and you will be jointly responsible for the maintenance as well as comply with all that required binding rules.

If you have a written agreement with a property owner, you can also be appointed as the operator of the sewage treatment plant. You will then be responsible for the maintenance, and it will likely be set out in your tenant agreement. If you are not sure about becoming an operator, ask the property owner, or ask your local authority for guidance on this matter.

A small sewage treatment plant is a great way to ensure that you can effectively handle your sewage needs without being connected to the main sewage system. You have to keep in mind that they are general binding rules that need to be adhered to, and you can contact the environment agency if you are not sure how to apply or how to know whether you are an operator or not.

The General Binding Rules

The general binding rules that you should adhere to when setting up your small sewage treatment plant, he is very important to understand. You can also speak to a professional installer if you are not sure what system to use or how the application process works.

Always keep in mind and that the sea which must be domestic, which means it has to come from a bathroom, toilet, kitchen or similar area inside a flat, or a house. It should also not cause pollution, and you can check online what the guidelines are to determine a pollution level.

There are also other guidelines to keep in mind, for example, whether you are releasing sewage into the ground or surface water like a river or stream. You could ask a local installer or even a maintenance company if you are not sure what system you have and what application you should follow.

When you are releasing sewage into the ground, you must use a septic tank or a small sewage treatment plant as well as a drainage field. In this case, you need to apply for a permit if you discharge sewage into a well or a borehole, discharge more than 2,000 litres a day or discharge sewage into a groundwater source protection zone.

You should also calculate how much to which the discharge on a daily basis as this will be important when you determine whether or not you should apply for a permit. Also, work out if you are in a groundwater resource protection zone as this can be either an area around a commercial water supply or any area within 50 metres of a private water supply for human consumption. It's a good idea to ask your neighbours if they have a well, a borehole or a spring and how far it is from your specific drainage field.

Apply for a Permit

In order to apply for a permit, you have to make sure that you don't need the general binding rules. There will be different forms that you can fill in, and this mainly depends on where you discharge your search and how much you discharge. If you discharge sewage into the ground, it depends on where you are discharging, especially whether it is in within a groundwater protection zone. 

If it is, you will have a form to fill in if you discharge less than two cubic metres per day, and a separate form if you discharge more than 15 cubic metres per day. If you fall outside of these zones, he will also have different forms to fill in depending on the amount of sushi discharge on a daily basis.

If you discharge sewage into surface water, you may apply for a standard rules permit if you discharge between five and 20 cubic metres per day. If you discharge more than 20 cubic metres per day, you will have a different form to fill in.

Before you start your application, make sure that you have a grid reference for your specific treatment plant as well as the calculation regarding the largest amount you think you will likely discharge on a daily basis. In addition to this, you will also need to provide a suitable site plan. There are various examples online, and it is best to work with an experienced installer for guidance and assistance in setting up these site plans.